Monday, March 12, 2012

Tool #9


1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?
I think that kids feed off of technology. We can present the same information to them as we always have, but the addition of more technology in our presentation is more appealing to the kids.

2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?
I think that we should hold students accountable because they need to realize that although technology is readily available to them, they are also responsible for their actions. They need to realize that when they use these devices, that what they do with them has a reflection on each of them individualy, as well as on me as their teacher, and on Memorial High School as their school.
3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?
I think that there are so many apps out there that I am going to have to slowly incorporate them into classroom use. I may start to introduce apps that I am comfortable using and then start to get some feedback from the kids. I guarantee that they will come up with some very creative approaches with whatever apps they start using. I will hold the students accountable with the "check in " and "check out" method with the devices. I thought that ThinkFinity and Mangahigh were both sites that I could see my kids using quite a bit. I might look at having a game station set up for the students to use as a reward for completing various assignments.
4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?
I found a few apps that would be very appropriate for my classroom. These apps are Skype, Poll Everywhere, and chron.com. I think that these could be incorporated into station learning dealing with current events for that day. I could then poll the students on a number of topics in order to get some feedback on their viewpoints of various events in history. I can hold the students accountable by having them complete a "ticket out" activity that will quiz them over all the apps used on the devices.
5.What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.
The iPads can be used just like actual computers can. I feel that students will be able to develop more effective apps that their peers will enjoy. I could see students using the iPads to make flashcards and surf the Internet, as well as communicate with other classes around the world. Through the use of Skype and other apps, I think that the students will really enjoy everything that the devices allow them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment